The port in numbers
On 1 January 2020 the Autonomous Port [Port Autonome] comprised 28 port sites over a total of 460 hectares (of which 300 ha are former brownfield sites). Of this surface area, 50 hectares are green zones, approaches, embankments, etc. 410 hectares are actually usable:
- 263 ha have been granted in concession
- 70 ha of land (non-adjacent) are available to the concession
- 75 ha of land will be available in the future (land in the process of development)
- 2 ha are maintained in the public quays zone
The alliance of water, rail and road to transport goods
Other features of the port of Charleroi:
- 8 km of quays
- 6 million tonnes of transported goods (including 10,000 containers)
- A trimodal platform for handling containers
- 100 companies in concession, 1700 direct jobs and 1000 indirect jobs
Along the Sambre and the Charleroi-Brussels canal.
Economic player in “Charleroi Metropole”, burgeoning industrial and commercial basin with a density of 640 inhabitants/km².
PAC has 8 km of quays, of which 1.5 km are public quays with a loading zone, 3 docks, 3 rail-connected sites and a trimodal terminal with a gantry for container handling. Every year, more than 5 million tonnes of goods transit via the Port.